Saturday, September 8, 2012

Welcome to Room 18!

Greetings Apples,

If you're a teacher who is anything like me, setting up your classroom is your guilty pleasure! Even though I love summer vacation, I always secretly look forward to August when I can head back into my classroom, crank up some music, and get everything organized for the upcoming school year. After all, I spend so much time in my classroom, I want it to be a place that makes me feel happy and inspired.

When I began in fourth grade a few years ago, I loosely decided on a California theme for my classroom.  California history is a major focus of the fourth grade curriculum, and I thought it would work well as a unifying theme for my bulletin boards. I also chose to invest in fabric for my bulletin boards that year after learning of its wonder from my first master teacher, Mrs. Hardin. Though it was pricey at the time (but do-able with strategic JoAnn coupon usage and teacher discount), this fabric is going on its third year and still looks as good as new. Unlike butcher paper, when you remove staples or push pins, there is hardly any sign of damage. (Thank you, Mrs. Hardin!)

Here's a look around my "office" ... 

Welcome to Room 18!

View from the front door


I have always put up the kids' pictures on the door, but this year 
I adapted these awesome posters that I saw here on Pinterest to add to the mix.

Just inside the door, is my Twitter board, student mailboxes (courtesy of my handy dad), and class pet. On the "Voracious Vocab" board, I post our weekly vocabulary words on index cards. By the end of the year, the students are amazed to see the amount of new words they have learned!



A peek at our class pet, Zeke, an eyelash crested gecko donated by a former student.

Inside the door to the right is my information bulletin board.
This is where I post birthdays, student awards, weekly jobs, and our daily schedule.
It is also where the students take lunch count in the mornings.

This is my desk area. It took me two years to work our a configuration that I liked, but now I'm a happy camper! Did you spot my pup, Duke, peeking out of the corner? When I have to catch up on work on the weekends, he comes and keeps me company (and by "company" I mean, sleeps in the corner...)

This if the front of my classroom. I am fortunate enough to have a Smartboard in my room (thank you, PTA!) The shelf under the whiteboard houses dictionaries, thesauruses, math reference books and math toolkits.


To the left of my Smartboard is my "teaching" area when I need to sit. Here I have my document camera, various remotes, my copies of textbooks and workbooks, fair sticks, etc. Please note my adorable skunk air freshener from Bath & Body Works. He is one of many around the room who combat the "after recess" smell...


My day of the week buckets hold papers and handouts that I will need throughout the week.
This little bookshelf is new this year. It holds things I need to access while teaching at the front of the room, near the Smartboard and document camera. The Kindness Jar, Brain Breaks, and Help! bucket are all fabulous ideas I found on Pinterest this summer.


Problem of the Week board with a weekly math challenge

My Accelerated Reader "Walk of Fame" is where I keep track of students' total AR points each trimester. Above is my social studies timeline, which is something new I am trying this year. I posted U.S. history events that are relevant to things we talk about in 4th grade. As we progress in social studies, the kids and I will add the California history dates as we learn them.


The California Dreaming board houses miscellaneous work throughout the year.



I have 5 student computers, and each has its own posted list of "approved websites"
and hints for navigating around a computer.



My classroom library, extra storage, and small group workspace

Passport to Reading is my independent reading program for the kids.
To the right is the All-Finished station (thank you, again, Mrs. Hardin!) where kids
can find approved activities if they finish all of their work early.


This is the student supply station and homework board. 


On the very back wall is my writing bulletin board.
Each student has a designated space to hang their work.

Well, there you have it! I really do enjoy being inside my classroom, and I try to always make sure that it is a space that is inviting and inspiring to my students, too. 

Miss H.

3 comments:

  1. Looks so inviting!!

    Would love to know where you get your math challenge ideas from. I have a high math group this year and am trying to beef up my math enrichment box as we speak!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jess! I got my challenge problems from a packet of overheads a retired teacher left in the cabinet. I put paper behind them and xeroxed them onto sheets of paper so they were more practical. I'll take a look at the publisher tomorrow and get back to you!

    ReplyDelete