Saturday, March 23, 2013

Book Projects

Greetings Apples,

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have a relatively large number of GATE students in my classroom this year. One of the "extras" I have available in my class for these students (and any other motivated students looking for something different to do when their classwork is done) is a binder filled with book projects.

Book projects are various independent study projects that a student can do to illustrate a particular book he or she read and loved. When I began teaching, I was given a huge library of teacher materials that I had no time to read through and process at the time. I dedicated a chunk of time this past summer going through these materials and marking the things that were useful to me. One common theme I began marking were these reading projects. I ended up creating a binder of book project choices from which kids could choose something that interests them. The projects are totally optional and are completely driven by the student - they select the project, the book to use, and write out a rough draft for me. Once I approve the rough draft to see they are serious about completing the project, I give them whatever supplies they need to complete it.

Here are the word documents for the project options in the binder: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0BwdTV-aIHkLpcUxHRW9RckZpMTQ/edit?usp=sharing

Below are some student samples of book projects. These book projects were created by my GATE students after finishing reading From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler for our book club.

"Story Quilt"

"Advertisement Poster"

"Design a Board Game"

"Diorama"

Below are a few more student samples. The first is the "A New Cereal on the Shelf" project a student opted to do while our class was reading Island of the Blue Dolphins. The second two cereal boxes were book projects two students opted to do after finishing independent reading books they both enjoyed.


"Dilly Dally Dolphins" designed for Island of the Blue Dolphins



"Magic Candy Flakes" designed for The Candy Shop War





"Owl Treats' designed for Guardians of Ga'Hoole: The Capture

If you have something similar in your classroom, let me know about it! I'd love to expand my project selection. If you start trying book projects in your classroom, let me know what are your class' favorites! (Our most popular are "A New Cereal on the Shelf" and "Design a Game.")

Miss H.





1 comment:

  1. " WOW! Bookworm Central book fairs must be WAY different than ours. The books that we get at our Bookworm Central Book fair quite varied & we had many positive comments from both faculty & parents. I can't speak for your school, but as far as our school is concerned, Bookworm Central prices are very comparable to other book fair companies. Bookworm Central has an unmatched business model in the book fair industry”

    ReplyDelete