Monday, September 23, 2013

Did You Know?

Greetings, Apples,

Welcome back from summer vacation and welcome back to reality! My summer turned out to be a "working summer" with many projects both at school and the District Office, including moving my classroom.

Obviously, moving is a complete pain in the you-know-what, but it did give me the opportunity to revamp a few parts of my classroom that needed a face lift.

One of my new spaces this year is the "Did You Know?" board (from Pinterest, obviously…). With the  movement toward the new Common Core standards in California, students are expected to read more non-fiction texts than ever before. I loved this fun, attention-grabbing board as an idea to excite kids to read more non-fiction. If they have an interesting fact for me, I ask them to write it on an index card with their name and the source of their fact. I change the board about once a week, and if the kids haven't submitted anything new, I put up a fact of my own.

Here are a couple of our fun facts…



So, Apples, what are you doing to incorporate more of the Common Core inside your classroom?

Miss H.

No comments:

Post a Comment